Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Mabel Bag "Them Bones"

Goldie Mabel Simmons Wright was her name. My great grandmother, my mother's side. She is whom this bag is named after. My goodness she was an amazing baker. I think my fondest memories of her were walking into her kitchen, enveloped by the luscious sweet fragrance of her made from scratch peach or blueberry cobbler, she standing there in her apron, her soft aging, freckled hands covered in four...her welcoming smile. What a blessing she was to me. I miss her fondly. I know she is looking down at me from heaven...I certainly hope she likes what she sees. I love you, Maw-maw.
The inspiration from the handbag is drawn from Ezekiel 37:1-14, under the pericope Valley of Dry Bones. "(3) He said to me, "Mortal, can these bones live?" I answered, "O Lord God, you know." Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and over you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord."

Click on any of the images for a larger view.
This over-the-shoulder bag features a large cover flap that locks in place with a nickel flap lock. A nickel skull, featured on the bottom right corner of the flap, symbolizes the valley of dry bones and the renewal of life made possible by the breath of God. Across the bottom of the handbag is a bold display of rich espresso leather strapping studded with Italian nickel hardware. The long shoulder strap, also made of rich espresso leather, brings balance of color to an otherwise simple yet elegant bag made of tan faux ostrich skin.


A closer look inside reveals my attention to detail and the importance of symbolism in my work. My signature cascade of fabric is present on the inside pockets. The back of this handbag features a very large pocket, and just underneath the front flap is a simple medium size pocket.


No comments: