Friday, February 21, 2014

The Virginia Bag "Angel"

The female inspiration for this handbag is drawn from my grandmother on my mother's side, Mary Virginia. She was a beautiful woman with thick auburn hair and cheek bones to die for. I remember her always dressing so elegant. A classy woman she was, always adorned with the perfect accessories to accent her wardrobe. I do not remember her ever carrying soft handbags, but always structured ones, often filled with her lipsticks, handkerchiefs, and eyeglasses. "Ginny" is what she often went by, but us grandchildren called her "Nana." When designing this handbag, Virginia above all other names seemed appropriate. It fits her to a "T." I think it would have made her proud. I love you, Nana.





I love the surprise when you open The Virginia Bag.It pops right up and says, "HELLO!" In the book of Hebrews, the ancient scripture reads, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to stranger, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares." 13:2.

This handbag comes with a removable shoulder strap.
Click on any of the images for a larger view.



I was a freshman in college when I first learned of this verse. I was coming home late one night, and I found myself in the company of  a chatty cabby who made me very nervous. I was young and naive to the big city life, and was very uncertain and uncomfortable with the "comfort" my cab driver had with his passenger. I feared the worse that night when we finally arrived at the foot of my college dormitory. He said, "I want to share something with you." He arched over to the side, reaching to pull something out of his pocket. I literally thought he was pulling out a weapon. To my greatest surprise, I saw rise above the back of his seat and in his hands a small pocket Bible. He said to me, "You have been such a delight to talk to! I would like to share a scripture verse with you, if you don't mind." It was then that he read to me this exact passage from the book of Hebrews. "Be not afraid to entertain strangers, for many have entertained angels unaware." That memory has stuck with me for the past 20 years. My heart felt thanks to the God-loving cabby that showed me the importance of this meaningful passage.










No comments: