Friday, February 21, 2014

The Mabel Bag "Dove"

Goldie Mabel Simmons Wright was her name. My great grandmother, my mother's side. She is whom this handbag is named after. My goodness she was an amazing baker. I think my fondest memories of her were walking into her kitchen, enveloped by the luscious sweet fragrance of her made from scratch peach or blueberry cobbler, she standing there in her apron, her soft aging, freckled hands covered in flour....her welcoming smile. What a blessing she was to me. I miss her fondly. I know she is looking down at me from heaven....I certainly hope she likes what she sees. I love you, Maw-maw.






The dove is the theme for this handbag. This lovely avian has come to mean many things throughout history, and has a place in Christian and Medieval art, and Russian and Greek icons for centuries. The dove is a symbol of peace, the Trinity and the Annunciation, but it's representation of the Holy Spirit is recognized the most. When Jesus was baptized, "He saw the spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.'" Matthew 3:16-17



 This particular Mabel Bag was a special order, my client desiring a Bohemian look. While I can not recreate this exact handbag, I am able to create others in a very similar fashion.

Click on any of the images for a larger view.
Detail, detail, detail. What would an SCD handbag be without detail? Boring. I spare no expense to detail. Whether it be my signature cascade of fabrics featured on the inside pockets here, or the nickel studded leather accent band along the bottom of the bag, creativity flourishes here.

No comments: